Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bareroot

I love bare root season  It's January, the slowest time of the year at the garden center.   It's cold & gray, but now in the back beds of the nursery are hundreds of young, bare fruit trees heeled in, in tidy, alphabetical lines with all the promise & romance of orchards of flower in the spring, & harvests of fruit in the summer.  There is something encouraging  & optimistic about all this...& a sense of the miraculous.  Just now, it seems almost impossible that in a few months time there will be a luxury of colour.
 Living on the edges of the remains of a hydraulic mine, there really is NO soil.  The house & yard sit on remains of ancient, exposed river bed. I have pots on the deck, pots in the yard, raised beds in the back for vegetables & a couple of mounds with a couple of small trees.  We have one peach already. I reckon it's a Fey Elberta.  We get a good crop maybe every other year.  It all depends of the weather.  Last spring was cold & stormy, yet we had just enough sun for the peach to flower extravagantly & time enough for pollination.  Then just as the fruit was beginning to form a series of hail storms in late May & early June knocked the crop down.  This year I'm putting a miniature peach in a pot, reasoning that if & when hail, freezing rain, or sudden downpours of small fish occur I can dash out & cover it.  Assuming I'm not at work.  Anyway I'm planting my little peach in a huge, bright orange glazed pot which when it flowers will be instant fiesta!

4 comments:

  1. Bareroot is really a wonderful thing!

    Back in autumn I "had" to rescue some plants around my apartment block and move them to the garden by our summer house, and later again I visited my parents and had to bring perennials, biannuals and small shrubs back to the summer house garden, and as I don't have a car I had to do this by public transport! Now, that's when bareroot is a REALLY handy concept... And so far it looks like everything accepted the somewhat rough treatment.

    I hope your new peach will flourish and enjoy the attention you are promising to heap on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited just imagining your little potted peach tree! I live in an apartment building with a mostly concrete backyard, but I have roses, lilac, pink jasmine, and meyer lemons in large pots, and grow vegetables and herbs in the few soil beds the landlord didn't pave over. After reading your post, I'm thinking I need a peach tree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soren, Reading your recent posts you're going to need a truck or a van to get all your treasures to the summer house. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. heartinsanfrancisco, I'm thinking you need a peach tree too! Beauty, the essence of summer in each bite, symbol of immortality in Chinese culture...all in one little tree.

    ReplyDelete